DIY Washing Machine Cleaner
Washing machines are prone to gunky buildup and mold which means your clothes aren't getting as clean as they should. Doing a deep clean once a month will help kill any mold and mildew along with disinfecting. Doing a quick wipedown once a week will keep it looking better for longer as well. What should I use, you ask? We're here to tell you! Read down below for some amazing DIYs from Sarah over at One Essential Community.
DIY Monthly Deep Cleaning Washer Solution:
-1/4 cup Borax
-1/4 cup Washing Soda
-2 cups White Vinegar
-20 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (or another antibacterial EO such as thyme, clove, or cinnamon)
1. Put borax and washing soda in empty washing machine drum.
2. Select the hottest water setting and largest load size (or the cleaning setting if you have one). Run the machine. If you have a top-loader washing machine, stop the washer before the rinse cycle and let the cleaning solution sit in the tub for about an hour.
3. Once the cycle finishes, put 2 cups of white vinegar and 20 drops of tea tree essential oil in the detergent dispenser tray. Run for another cycle on the hottest water setting.
4. Once finished, wipe out drum with a microfiber cloth.
5. Repeat once a month for a continuous clean washer.
NOTE: Use this solution plus 1 cup hot water to clean the seal gasket & door for front loaders.
DIY Weekly Cleaning Washer Spray:
-3/4 cup White Vinegar
-10 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
-5 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
1. Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle.
2. Spray down all areas of the washer, including the soap dispenser, lid, and gaskets. Wipe with microfiber cloth.
3. Use this weekly to kill mold/mildew and remove hard water stains.
Need a spray bottle for this project? Try our Flairosol continuous spray bottle! Get yours here!